Have a question? Find what you’re looking for in our FAQ.

Common questions

As an education recruitment company, we connect experienced, qualified teachers with teaching positions in international and bilingual schools ranging from preschool and Primary to Secondary subject specialists.

Contracts typically last two years with a range of benefits and the possibility of extension or placement in another school.

British candidates must have a Postgraduate Certificate in Education (PGCE) while other foreign nationals will need the equivalent. Relevant work experience complete with references is also essential. Candidates must be under 60 years of age and have had a clear criminal record for at least 10 years.  Applicants will also need a valid passport with more than 12 months before the expiry date and two free visa pages.

Once the candidate uploads their CV to our website we will match them with suitable schools, academies and institutions.  When an appropriate pairing is found, an interview will be set up between the candidate and the interested school.  This typically takes place via Skype.


No, not at all.  English is becoming more common in the cities with a proliferation of English signage and public transportation maps.

If you are serious about learning Mandarin upon arrival, it’s possible to attend classes or pair with a tutor or language partner. If you wish to practise before you arrive there are free apps such as Memrise and ChineseSkill available.

School terms vary by institution but are similar to the British system with long summer and winter breaks and various national holidays.

We place teachers in full time positions that have a full working day, five days per week.

The curriculum is chosen by the individual school and varies by institution.  However, the various curricula used in China are typically well known internationally. Teachers with an existing knowledge of a variety of international curricula or who are flexible and creative with their approach will make a smooth transition.

China is connected by a high speed rail network that makes domestic travel fast and cheap. There are also international airports in all the major cities. Interesting city breaks include Beijing, Shanghai, Xi’an, Chengdu and Hong Kong. The rice terraces and cast mountains of Guilin and grasslands of Inner Mongolia are also nearby for the more adventurous.

From the north and east of the country, Japan, Korea and the Philippines are easily accessible. The south of China offers direct flights to South East Asia (Thailand, Cambodia, Vietnam, Indonesia etc.), New Zealand and Australia. Most cities also offer direct flights to the UK and USA.

Schools will provide their employees with health insurance that offer co-payment and direct billing options. All the major cities have first rate international hospitals and medical clinics with service in English and doctors who have been trained abroad. Western medicines are also readily available.

The classroom structure will vary depending on the school. However, it’s quite common to have a teaching assistant or to work alongside a Chinese co-teacher.

Each school’s human resources department provides a comprehensive teacher support system. They will initialize your work permit and visa application processes, set you up with health insurance, provide housing options, match you with local language courses and help you with amenities such as internet and phones. We at INTA China are also always available to provide personalised support and information for the applicant.


International organisations offer a salary based on teaching experience with international pay grades in place. Benefits include flights, accommodation and health insurance.

Local food is very cheap and it is easy to live on a budget. Eating and drinking in local Chinese restaurants is also very cheap. Prices rise when eating in Western style restaurants, although they are still cheaper than in the UK. Transport, taxes and monthly bills such as water and electricity are all cheaper when compared with Western countries. If you live frugally you can expect to save a good portion of your wages which can be sent home monthly by standing order.

Yes. All cities host most major clothing and electronic brands in numerous shopping malls. There are also many supermarkets that specialise in imported goods. If it can’t be found in stores, online shopping makes almost everything attainable with more and more sites available in English. Virtually anything can be found using the online shopping platform Baopals.

High speed internet is available throughout China. You will need a VPN (virtual private network) to access Western social media sites. You can use your own phone in China with a roaming plan (not recommended) or if it’s unlocked, with a local SIM card (recommended.) It’s also easy to buy contract-free pay-as-you-go phones or get even better rates by purchasing a phone with a contract from one of the three national carriers.

Wechat is the most popular social media platform in China. It allows you to call or message your contacts and post pictures or videos linked to your profile. You can also add credit to your account to use for mobile payments.

AliPay is an online payment platform linked to your bank account allowing you to pay bills, order food and purchase items online. You can also top up your phone and transfer money to friends through the app.

Your tax situation will vary depending on the school. You will pay Chinese tax that will be deducted from your paycheque, however tax rates are much lower than in the UK. You can also still opt in to paying UK National Insurance contributions while abroad.

It depends on the school, but culturally appropriate, business casual is typically required.

Get In Touch

See a job that you like? Simply apply and we will be in touch to help you achieve your career goals. Send us an email or give us a call for help with the application process or more information about working and living in China.
Contact Us